Lore of the Land

A blog dedicated to the cerebral upchucks and observations of a self promoting genius ahead of his time. Concentrating on the economy, political rebuke and the profound observations of this world we call home.....

Monday, October 20, 2008

Sweden's On Sale!!

I had the opportunity to have lunch with some of my peers last week. It's something I try not to get in the habit of, as it can be pretty expensive (compared to what you get) to eat out here, but last week I had to say yes to the invitation. So, off we went to the cafeteria that's nearest to the main economics building at Lund. I skipped breakfast that day as I had a hunch we may be going to lunch and wanted to maximize the potential value I could obtain from the event. The lunch that we go to is buffet style and includes salad and coffee. I've been able to condition my body so that I can go there on a day when I skip breakfast and not only get my fill for the first half of the day, but get my fill for the whole day by successfully pulling off a 'one meal deal'. I guess some things about college never change (regardless the level of study).

The meal itself was nothing special. Pasta with a chicken veggie mix, rice with a veggie chicken mix, and a vegetarian option pasta with a rice veggie mix. Variety is not the spice of life in Sweden. After fully drenching the meal in tabasco it was time to enjoy. As we sat around the table talking about the news of the day and the news of the weird one of my peers gave an insightful quote that just about caused me to upchuck a broccoli spear across the room. Ernst (Sweden) was describing how he had prepared for the current economic downturn by simply quitting his job before he could be fired from it. Brilliant we thought!! Simply brillient!

Reflecting on Ernst's comment I thought it would be a good idea to check the current dollar to kroner exchange rate. It's the single most important number to myself and all my fellow American exchange pals. To my surprise it's now 7.5sek to $1. Yahtzee! That's a whopping 15% appreciation from when I first hit the shores of this foreign land. As with any 'gravy train' you know it's eventually going to hit the 'end of the line'. But for now anyways, it's living the good life. You want to eat an extra packet of top ramen with your lunch? Go for it! How about a banana when you wake up so you don't have to listen to your own bowels eat themselves all morning until lunch? Have two!

1 Comments:

At October 21, 2008 at 3:08 AM , Blogger kengell said...

It would appear that this yahoo finance chart would agree with you! Looks like the dollar is gaining against the Danish krone also. Maybe next summer's vacation won't be so expensive?

Good thing you didn't convert your USD into SEK so quickly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home