Lore of the Land

A blog dedicated to the cerebral upchucks and observations of a self promoting genius ahead of his time. Concentrating on the economy, political rebuke and the profound observations of this world we call home.....

Monday, September 8, 2008

$16 Grocery Trip

This last weekend I took an opportunity to seek out the 'greater' grocery store that is close to my home. I had heard rumblings that there was a larger grocery store with a better selection just on the other side of the 'highway' from where I live. So, despite the fact my initial plan was to bike there, I set out on foot to find the store. Sure enough, like an oasis in the Sahara there she sat. ICA (not to be confused with IKEA)! Upon entering the store I saw the typical Swedish grocery store sights, long check out ques, miniature shopping carts, video surveillance, etc. I grabbed a basket and hit the aisles. The store was great. There was so much more of a selection than the neighborhood market down the street from my flat and prices were the same on most everything. I quickly filled a basket (which is all I choose to carry back to my place at once). Here is what I got for 109 SEK ($16)

Digestive Cookie Biscuits (Log)
Spenat hackad (Shredded spinach - frozen bag)
Fettuccine Spenat (Dry spinach fettucini noodles)
Raksallad (Crayfish salad spread)
0.5l of Krusovic Cerne (Czech Republic beer)
Sommargronsaker (Vegetable medley - frozen bag)
Knackebrod (Grain crackers that are like slices of bread only dried and crunchy - large package)
Bruna bonor (Prepared baked beans - plastic roll that resembles a sausage)
Frigg ort-te (Green leaf tea - bags)

All in all a good trip. I got a few 'luxury' items (green tea and a beer) as well as a handful of meals with the veggies and the spinach noodles. I can snack on the raksallad and knackebrod and maybe make a meal out of the beans with a hot dog or something thrown in.

In other news, the days are getting cooler here. Fall is in the air. I took a picture of one of my favorite buildings on campus today. It's posted below. The building is the main library for the university. What's great about the building is that it's covered in ivy (as you can see). That same ivy, when a slight wind blows (which is virtually constant in Southern Sweden) makes the whole building wave to you as you pass by. The ivy also tells you what season it is. In the spring it starts to get green right in line with the sunshine hitting it, and like now, it starts to turn colors (from the top down) to represent that fall is here. When the colors reach the ground it's time for winter.

2 Comments:

At September 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM , Blogger J and J said...

Can't see the photo! Fall? Darn it. Can't wait until fall arrives for cooler temps.

 
At September 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM , Blogger kengell said...

Remind you of the friendly confines of Wrigley Field? Looks like you're getting the hang of living large in Lund. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home