Lore of the Land

A blog dedicated to the cerebral upchucks and observations of a self promoting genius ahead of his time. Concentrating on the economy, political rebuke and the profound observations of this world we call home.....

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blue Cows and Black Magic

I've desperately wanted to travel to Latvia ever since I made my way to Estonia earlier this year. There is something about these Baltic states that lure me to them. I'm not sure if it's the drab emotions of the inhabitants, the slightly rough around the edges city centers, or the constant presence of the never too far Kremlin to the east. While not specific, it's certainly something that steers me in their direction. While staking the lay of the land from the confines of my consistently chilly Swedish abode I have discovered a 'lore of the land' that shall be a foci for my travels which embark tomorrow. Blue cows and black magic!

Pagan roots to blame? Perhaps for the magic, however, the cows come natural. My travel partner for the trip informed me of such a species earlier today. The blue cow as it's cleverly titled, is said to dawn it's aqua skin color as a byproduct of the Baltic sea water it has drank for generations. Legend has it that the copious amounts of milk they produce and the blue blood that runs through their veins is a symbol of aristocracy among bovine. Or so the legend goes....

Black magic on the other hand is less elusive yet more exclusive to ye who dare. It's a recipe that goes back 300 years and has been produced in Latvia (and no where else) ever since. The syrupy liquor that's dark as ink and thick as custard is said to have medicinal powers that have cured such majesty as Catherine the Great. With a bit of luck (and on time flights) I shall settle into the lore sometime around this time at the right time tomorrow.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home